For a long while, I could think of nothing else to post except about my hospital woes..and that's the last thing I'd want to write about.. I've been thinking on this topic for a while, and finally decided to post it. It feels so strange writing after a long break though..
If there's one thing in this world I could not put up with, it'd be indifference. Yell all you want, or be loving, caring and kind.. doesn't matter. But pure indifference just simply makes my blood pressure shoot up sometimes.
We do realize, there have been so many terrible incidents like the Delhi gang rape , grabbing the media attention.. I say that because, I agree such incidents have been increasing over the time, but more than that, we have become so hungry for sensational literature that innocent lives & reputations are being prayed upon, in the name of mass media.
It's such a terrible thing. Either it's the headlines of the day, with every itsy bitsy details, or it's about people, VIP's voicing out their opinions, or us, social networkers, sharing posts with a dozen comment threads underneath them. Aren't all the above just various forms of gossiping? In a sense?
May be my thinking is crazy. But I certainly wouldn't post the photo if it was my sister or my best friend who was the victim. I certainly wouldn't want a thousand people, most of them who don't obviously care an inch, simply sympathizing, shedding false tears, or expressing out rage which amounts to nothing ultimately.
Whatever debates on TV channels these people may hold, whatever comments or posts we make about, is it going to prevent another girl from being raped? another innocent life from being ruined the next day? I don't think so. Reality is harsh. And this is it.
Dear people who hold candle marches and protests against cruelty against women, what would you do if your sister or daughter were the victim tomorrow? Would you like a nation wide uproar against it? Would you like your sister's picture being displayed on placards and social networking sights for everyone to see? Would this be the way you'd want everyone to remember her? She was the bright young girl, whose smile brightened up everyone's life, isn't it? Do you want people remembering her as 'The Victim'? More ever, what if it were you the next day? A victim of violence.
I prefer people doing something about it.. rather than all this brain storming and debating. I'm not saying it's entirely the guys or the girls fault. But I'm pretty sure that even capital punishment isn't going to change all this. When has ever law changed the way people think and look at things? And believe me, I know, how much of personal abuse and violence girls face that goes unnoticed every day. And most of the times, there's too much consequences arising if you speak out, rather than keep silent.
To conclude, I just think, we've become so numbed to all the injustice going around, it's high time we started to be people of action rather than gossip mongers, or mere thinkers. It all starts with just a tiny step. Can't we speak up against injustice the next time we come to face with it?
I just want to conclude with this quote by Elie Weasel.
If there's one thing in this world I could not put up with, it'd be indifference. Yell all you want, or be loving, caring and kind.. doesn't matter. But pure indifference just simply makes my blood pressure shoot up sometimes.
We do realize, there have been so many terrible incidents like the Delhi gang rape , grabbing the media attention.. I say that because, I agree such incidents have been increasing over the time, but more than that, we have become so hungry for sensational literature that innocent lives & reputations are being prayed upon, in the name of mass media.
It's such a terrible thing. Either it's the headlines of the day, with every itsy bitsy details, or it's about people, VIP's voicing out their opinions, or us, social networkers, sharing posts with a dozen comment threads underneath them. Aren't all the above just various forms of gossiping? In a sense?
May be my thinking is crazy. But I certainly wouldn't post the photo if it was my sister or my best friend who was the victim. I certainly wouldn't want a thousand people, most of them who don't obviously care an inch, simply sympathizing, shedding false tears, or expressing out rage which amounts to nothing ultimately.
Whatever debates on TV channels these people may hold, whatever comments or posts we make about, is it going to prevent another girl from being raped? another innocent life from being ruined the next day? I don't think so. Reality is harsh. And this is it.
Dear people who hold candle marches and protests against cruelty against women, what would you do if your sister or daughter were the victim tomorrow? Would you like a nation wide uproar against it? Would you like your sister's picture being displayed on placards and social networking sights for everyone to see? Would this be the way you'd want everyone to remember her? She was the bright young girl, whose smile brightened up everyone's life, isn't it? Do you want people remembering her as 'The Victim'? More ever, what if it were you the next day? A victim of violence.
I prefer people doing something about it.. rather than all this brain storming and debating. I'm not saying it's entirely the guys or the girls fault. But I'm pretty sure that even capital punishment isn't going to change all this. When has ever law changed the way people think and look at things? And believe me, I know, how much of personal abuse and violence girls face that goes unnoticed every day. And most of the times, there's too much consequences arising if you speak out, rather than keep silent.
To conclude, I just think, we've become so numbed to all the injustice going around, it's high time we started to be people of action rather than gossip mongers, or mere thinkers. It all starts with just a tiny step. Can't we speak up against injustice the next time we come to face with it?
I just want to conclude with this quote by Elie Weasel.
1 comment:
well said sister *clap clap*
p.s. dont know why that word "sister" crept in there ;-) i think it must be because that word has been floating around lately whichever blog i happen to visit.
Post a Comment