Friday, 5 April 2013

IDEALISTIC?

  An odd theme for my blog, agreed, given the weather conditions. Considering now I know how a turkey feels like inside the oven, I can't help choosing the rainy day theme for this blog. 
  This post is purely a rant, stuff I've been fuming about for the past 6 years. And I am going to try my best not to be strong worded. 
  For all the people who had even the teensiest bit of jaw dropping moments when they realized that I'm a med student, face it! After all the 6 years I put in, I feel like the lousiest person in the world. And I'm going to leave the college with nothing but the bitter memories to carry with me. My regrets, missed moments with friends and family, worst ingratitude, betrayals by people who thought were my best friends. I'm left with nothing, and feels like I'm back to square one, trying to figure out my next step. 
  There is just one thing I am starting to figure out after all my experiences through this time. I am going to describe it subsequently.

  •    The grass might look greener on the other side.  But it sure isn't! 
  •    The world will be chaos if everyone were just doctors and engineers. Then we wouldn't have biologists, mathematicians or physicists, or even plumbers and chefs for that matter! Someone's gotta do all those too.
  •    In this world, there are people who are adaptable and those who aren't. The former CANNOT be compared to the latter, even though the latter are a microscopic population.
  •    The adaptable kind of people can study and work just for the sake of surviving in this world. Darwin's advanced species. 
  •    The latter CANNOT & WILL NOT do it! They are passion driven. The love of their field of interest is what that makes them tick. Not a job and a salary. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. 
  •    The latest encounter I had with an unspecified person. " Why would someone quit the course because they hate it? Can't they just pull through it and then do what they like after that? The way it went, it was like trying to communicate to that person in Latin. 
  •    We do have tastes when it comes to what we wear, what we read or what we eat, right? Then why is it a crime to like a subject or to have a distaste in a particular subject? Just because I cannot perform like my next door neighbor's daughter, does it mean that I'm good for nothing? 
  •     Us, idealists may be evolutionarily behind, but great people like Srinivasa Ramanujan have known to be hopeless in subjects they didn't like. Isn't it?
  •    To tell the truth, I went mad during my first year medicine. So mad, that I ended up at a shrink's office. Guess what? He ended up bragging about how much he enjoyed life at my college ( his alma mater ) and finally he just shook my griefs off as silliness. I've regretted it since then. But then now I saw  doctor whom I came to respect a lot. He advised the kid's parents that if their kid doesn't like to study something, odds are probably he's not going to like it till the end of his life. There is no point forcing him into it, and then berating him for his poor grades.
  •   Maybe I'm just stupid, or I'm crazy. At least that's how I seem to most other people. But this is a feeble cry of protest. People like me do exist, and it goes a long way respecting your kids wishes when it comes to their careers. Their jobs are what they're going to be in for life. And if your kid is in the idealistic category, you're probably making a great mistake, getting mad at them when they don't live up to your expectations and be a doctor or an engineer.
   At the end of it all, I concede. May be I'm all wrong about this, or partly right, or I might have quite a bit of sense in this. I don't know. I am not going to care either. All I know is that this has been nagging me for ages, and hope one day our society figures out a way to solve it.
  That's all folks.  

1 comment:

Livingsta said...

Oh dear, sorry to hear this. I have gone through the same too at some point in my life, and also when it comes to career, I have had so many ask me, why this, why not that, the pay is great. Gosh! No I can't. Pay doesn't matter. Can you be doing something that you hate just for the sake of money etc? Nooooo
I totally agree with you and empathise with the way you feel. I hope things get better for you.
Have a good weekend dear!