Tuesday, 27 March 2012

FAMILIES- REVISED


   I kind of got a writer's block, but this issue is something I wanted to talk about for a long time. It's a touchy subject and not a very pleasant one for me either. Please bear with me.
   I used to have qualms about being the kid of  a single parent. I won't really explain much, but that created quite a bit of social awkwardness, and sometimes I do think I've missed out a lot in life because of this. Also, I think this accounts for most of my weirdness. It's even more horrifying when I see kids in my situation, it is as if I'm seeing myself growing up. I feel so bad that I don't want anyone to end up in a situation like myself.
  Sadly there are even worse things. I do come across innumerable incidences of domestic abuse. Even though it may not be physical, most often words can also hurt as much. I've come across individuals living in homes where parents constantly quarrel with each other. I feel so terrible about them, and most us would be familiar with the extent to which domestic abuse hurts the kids.  
   These are just the worst case scenarios. Still there's some goodness left here on earth. We are lucky to have peaceful  & happy families, and I think that's one of the most wonderful things in this world anyone could have. I guess our world still survives because of that. Seeing them, I really do wish whole heartedly that there would be more & more families like that. 
   May be I see so many broken homes because of the way I am. For those of us who come from the better side of things, we can't be oblivious to the reality. Reality is that, things are changing. More families are being torn apart. The divorce rates are increasing even if it isn't a dramatic rise. More and more people are afraid of getting married. We are just left speechless, as kids these days end up doing unimaginable things. We play the blame game on mass media, gadgets etc. But what if the core problem lies at the heart of the society? Our families. 
   Today's average student pursues 'sex without strings & marriage without rings.' While this holds true in the western culture today, I don't think it'll be long before some people here start to think like that also. What is going to happen to kids then? I can't even bear to imagine.
 Feels as if we are building floor after floor in the tower of life while we ourselves are destroying the basement. 
   I confess I'm inexperienced to write about these things, but is all these because we have distorted the definition of love? As far as the movies & songs go, it is just a flutter of the heart, a surging emotion you get when you see your 'special someone'. 
 But what if love was something more? 'Love is as much a question of the will as it is of the emotion. And if you will to love somebody, you can'. Isn't that how our culture had survived all these ages? Today 'love' has become one of the most used & misused epithets ever known to mankind. 
   This is the post-modern age where quite a few people have gotten 'enlightened' and yearn to break free from their moral obligations. These situations haven't become apparent in our society very much. But it won't be long until things come out into the bright day light. I wish we'd pause & think about the consequences. Sure you can live as if everything's just relative, and you are free to do whatever you want. But what if the whole world decided to think like that? Can you just murder someone because you just feel like it? Or can you rape someone just like that and escape from the consequences of your actions? We'll just be left with the empty shells of our bodies, despairing each day, seeing no hope for our future. Each day our civilization crumbles into pieces, our hands are guilty with ruining the lives of our future generations. Won't we change?

Author's noteI realize I'm at risk if being contradicted heavily, and criticized. But if you do so, please be polite. Thank you :)


p.s I'm not generalizing in any way. There are still numerous families made up of wonderful people, there are still people who think values are important in life. The things I've spoken about, may be more apparent in western civilization, but they have started spreading their roots in our soil too and it won't be long before they take hold either. We can't ignore this fact. 

No comments: