I kind of got a writer's block, but this issue is something I wanted to talk about for a long time. It's a touchy subject and not a very pleasant one for me either. Please bear with me.
I had a problem when I was a kid. Every time someone asked me about my father, I lied. As I didn't have a fixed excuse, pretty soon I got really confused by the numerous made up excuses. I didn't remember which excuse I made to which person. The whole thing was a mess.
My childhood days was when the concept of having a single parent was unheard. People understood if your parent died. But they didn't extend the same understanding when your parents were separated. I was pretty touchy about the fact I guess.
Sure there unavoidable reasons for getting divorced, but then, I think kids are more of the hapless victims here. I confess I'm a bit of a weirdo. But still now it is shocking to see kids like me. It's almost as if I'm seeing myself in them. And I sure don't want that to happen to anyone. Really.
While this is quite depressing, there is one more thing which is still worse. We used to live near a family with three kids. It was a world war 3 everyday there. The father as well as the mother are alcoholics. They used to lock the kids inside a room and beat them up till they screamed. It was pure terror for me listening to them. One day the father decided to hang the youngest kid from the balcony because he suspected that his wife was having an affair. We were all afraid of them, so we couldn't interfere either.
This is just one of the innumerable instances of domestic abuse, sadly.
These are just the worst case scenarios. Still there's some goodness left here on earth and people who do have a peaceful & happy family are indeed blessed. I guess our world still survives because of that. Seeing them, I really do wish whole heartedly there would be more families like that.
These are just the worst case scenarios. Still there's some goodness left here on earth and people who do have a peaceful & happy family are indeed blessed. I guess our world still survives because of that. Seeing them, I really do wish whole heartedly there would be more families like that.
But things are worsening even if insiduously. We are just left speechless, as kids these days end up doing unimaginable things. We play the blame game on mass media, gadgets etc. But what if the core problem lies at the heart of the society? Our families.
Today's average student pursues 'sex without strings & marriage without rings.' While this holds true in the western culture today, I don't think it'll be long before it takes hold in our soil too. What is going to happen to kids then? I can't even bear to imagine.
Feels as if we are building floor after floor in the tower of life while we ourselves are destroying the basement.
I confess I'm inexperienced to write about these things, but is all these because we have distorted the definition of love? As far as the movies & songs go, it is just the flutter of the heart, a surging emotion you get when you see your 'special someone'.
But what if love was something more? 'Love is as much a question of the will as it is of the emotion. And if you will to love somebody, you can'. Isn't that how our culture had survived all these ages? Today 'love' has become one of the most used & misused epithets ever known to mankind.
This is the post-modern age where everyone yearns to break free from their moral obligations. But I wish we'd pause and think about the consequences. Sure you can live as if everything's just relative, and you are free to do whatever you want. But what if the whole world decided to think like that? Can you just murder someone because you just feel like it? Or can you rape someone just like that and escape from the consequences of your actions? We'll just be left with the empty shells of our bodies, despairing each day, seeing no hope for our future. Each day our civilization crumbles into pieces, our hands are guilty with ruining the lives of our future generations. Won't we change?
Author's note: I realize I'm at risk if being contradicted heavily, and criticized. But if you do so, please be polite. Thank you :)
8 comments:
//post modern..EVERYONE...// can be a misconstrue my dear :-) even on this present rotten earth there are ppl who still hold onto moral obligations :-) i guess you agree..i simply take it as a slight ignorance in d large arena of words :-)
@Nisha Daniel Agreed... but we find more n more people embracing post modernism, wish they'd realize how shallow it is..
kanyakumari district has the dubious distinction of having the highest divorce rates in our state. people say it is because our women are "thimiru pidichathunga." i choose to think it is because our women have the courage to walk away from abusive relationships. with economic independence comes the liberty to speak up, an economically liberated woman need not stay silent for fear of becoming homeless (or beaten and sent home to mom). this gets interpreted as "modern women do not respect their husbands." i am all for the modern woman. i admire those who have the guts to walk away from abusive relationships and rear their children on their own.
@Sharon: Totally agreed..and that's a sore point for me as well. One of my friends told that the 'thimiru we are supposed to possess comes from the fact that there's quite an amount of dowry that comes along with us'. I don't think so. Our literacy rate is one of the highest. And NO ONE deserves to be abused. And deciding to speaking out against it is not arrogance. Being a single parent with a kid is way better than bringing up the kid in a home of domestic abuse..
Come on Sharon.What is the use of walking away leaving your family? That is from the western culture What Jeba just told about. And talking of dowry, why do men get married even if they want dowry? Because of the Girl's parents. Not because of the Boy's side. If the Boy's side do ask for dowry, why don't people just ignore that family? Don't you think the girl's side is involved in this? I dunno why people have a single sided mind. Girls take a oath you wont marry a guy who asks dowry and show your courage in maintaining the oath. Not just leave your husband and children and say that is "Modern Woman".
Come on Anandh... I didn't expect this from you! The dowry thing is a shameful thing. Remember that I have a son who is not that long away from marriage. If I get one single penny by selling him, then you can call me any name that you want to. And this includes the escape option that groom's parents say "Naanga onnumae kaekalla, avangalaa thanthaanga." I repeat, I will not accept one penny for wedding expenses or for the price of thaali. You can write this down and quote it later. I am sure we will be able to afford the price of a thaali and if we cannot, then why not a simple ring instead of a 13-sovereign thaali? It is downright shameful to see a man lording it around in a car paid for by his wife's family. And there is no point saying that the girl's side encourages it by offering tons of wealth. It is a competitive world. If you don't give, then someone else will and you get the name that you are miserly. The whole system has to change. More parents of boys have to take a stance and prove it. And also, if a man beats his wife physically or abuses her mentally, it is wrong to merely walk away from the marriage. The correct thing to do would be to file a case under the Domestic Violence Act and THEN walk away. That is what those laws were created for. That would teach many people a lesson. In a one-km vicinity to where I live, I know two brides who did this, and I know that other potentially harassing in-laws are being a little careful after observing this. NOTHING gives a man or his family the right to be abusive.
Ha ha ha ha ha... ok ok.. I give up..
anandh! that is sporting of you man. i was expecting a long tirade in reply :-) cheers!
Post a Comment