Friday, 16 March 2012

If everyone cared...or didn't?

   I was talking to my friend the other day (he's an engineer), and I expressed my concern regarding the way patients are treated at our hospitals.Sometimes, believe me, a lab mouse is better off than the patients. He just got bored and said, "Why do you worry about irrelevant things that don't affect you?"  Yet, I find it difficult to turn a blind eye to things going on around me.


   I guess it is easy to adopt the 'Whatever, I don't care' attitude, as long as you are comfortable and nothing personally affects you much. Even I've said, 'What's the point?, it's not like I'm going to make a difference or anything'. But now I realize it matters. Everything matters. A few people wanting to make a difference may not seem much significant. But our whole country, even our world is just 'a lot of few people'.


   The title for this blog was based on Nickelback's song, 'If everyone cared'. Ideally speaking, our world would be a utopia if everybody did care. But then, on another note, what would happen if no one cared? 


  What if people like us- your average middle class Indian, just put on rosy tinted glasses and took a stroll along the park singing 'What a wonderful world', oblivious to all that has been happening these days.


  For starters, there wouldn't be an Army to protect us ( I'm talking about just the good variety here ) or police because no one would even bother to join. Finally our world would come to resemble something made of a cross between 'The Godfather' movie, and 'Kill Bill'. Our comfort zones would be shattered to splinters and no one will be there for us. We'll be left wondering what was our purpose on this planet in the first place.


  I'm just one of the many unheard voices, in this world of noise. May be I'm just a drop of ink in an ocean. Still, I do feel like speaking out. One of our text books described negligence as 'An act of omission, or an act of commission' in other words, it is, 'Doing something which you are not supposed to do, or not doing something which you are supposed to do'


 I guess the definition just about sums it up. It'd really be nice if people would ask themselves 'Am I being negligent'.


  Thank you all for reading. Catch you later.. :-) 

No comments: